Am 10.01.2020 um 22:02 schrieb Allin Cottrell:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2020, Allin Cottrell wrote:

3) I'm not so sure about Sven's suggestion that (if I'm understanding
him right) sqrt(M), for M a real matrix with some negative elements,
should return an appropriate complex matrix. It's clearly defensible,
but it might produce surprising/puzzling results in some cases so I
think it requires further discussion.

First of all, yes I understand what you mean, it would have some
downsides, too.
In the meantime, it's not difficult to get what you want in this sort
of case, if you know what you're doing. Example:

<hansl>
matrix B = {1,-4; -9,1}
print B
eval sqrt(complex(B,0))
</hansl>

I was thinking of the same approach, but didn't know that a simple 0 was
enough and would broadcast. In the doc it suggests instead something
like zeros(2,2). To be honest, I would still make the second arg optional...

thanks for the other changes,

sven