> And as the primary whiner on this topic, I'll volunteer to do the
> work to convert the existing texinfo docs to roff.

This is a great offer, but I wonder whether it makes sense to use
the time you are willing to invest in a better way.

  . I won't give up on groff.texinfo.  This consequently means that we
    need a groff2texinfo converter (or groff2info to get the more
    important info files) in case the source files are in groff
    format.  Personally, I *really* like the indexing features of
    `info' which are quite powerful.  I'm not aware of a different
    indexing system which is freely available (but I must admit that I
    haven't done an extensive search).

    Writing such a script/program might be easy, but it probably
    doubles the amount of time needed for a proper conversion.

  . groff.texinfo contains quite dry material.  It will never become a
    first-read document.  Wouldn't it be more useful to create an
    introductory document from scratch, probably taking the
    introductory stuff from groff.texinfo (which would be consequently
    removed)?

      Werner