At 2024-03-28T05:28:46-0500, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 1:29 PM G. Branden Robinson
> <g.branden.robin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (I've been slowly accumulating evidence that, for basic editing
> > operations, vi _really is_ more keystroke-efficient than Emacs,
>
> Not just in requiring fewer keystrokes, but in the ergonomics of them
> too:  (1) It requires fewer key combinations.  Two keys in sequence
> are easier to type than two in tandem.  (2) Aside from the escape key,
> almost everything in vi can be done with the typewriter part of the
> keyboard.

I would amplify this point with the observation that if you use the One
True Keyboard Layout (and I don't refer to alphabetic ordering), even
that exception evaporates.

https://hhkb.io/layout/

A giant backslash key combined with a 1u backspace key is just
shockingly user hostile.  A lot of cheap US keyboards use that layout
instead of ANSI; I don't know why.  This person has the right idea.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1bcx5k5/petition_to_ban_big_ass_enter_and_1u_backspace/

Regards,
Branden