Hi Damian,

At 2024-04-19T07:06:26+1000, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> The original MM was done by John Mashey and D.W. Smith from Bell Labs
> at Piscataway. They worked on the Programmers Workbench UNIX variant
> at Bell Labs. Doug can enlighten you on where that fells into the
> overall Bell Labs structure.

Thanks.  I was vague because (1) I wasn't super clear on who besides
Mashey and Smith were involved (for some reason my brain wants to
involve Todd Dolotta with them, but that might not be correct); (2) I
don't have a diachronic perspective on mm's development from its
earliest form (PWB/UNIX 1.0?) to its fossilization (DWB 3.3?) and what
other contributors there were over time.  Its manual saw its authorship
credits decay away.  I've come to expect this sort of thing from
manager-driven development in a corporate environment.

And (3) these sorts of details probably didn't matter for the purpose of
addressing Jan's question.  :)

Regards,
Branden