[self-follow-up]

At 2024-07-24T13:28:04-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> I notice now that those claims about the margin sizes might be off by
> one vee; in my experience, a "margin" measures an extent of whitespace
> (or "negative space"), whereas the `sp` request positions the _text
> baseline_, and since glyphs are nearly always drawn at least in part
> _above_ the text baseline, text formatted at a vertical position of
> 0.5i from the top of the page actually encroaches into a "top margin"
> of one half-inch.
>
> Often that's a fairly subtle point, but when trying to format a
> document to a national standard, it's important to use precise
> measurements, lest ruler-wielding enforcers come around to rap one's
> knuckles.
>
> So I will review this material for correctness.

Sure enough, there were problems.  I've fixed them in my working copy
and you can expect them in my next push.  In the meantime, I am
attaching the corrected "hdfo.roff" example and a document that uses it.

Regards,
Branden
.\" hdfo.roff
.de hd                  \" page header
'  sp .5i
.  tl '\\*(Ti''\\*(Da'  \" title and date strings
'  sp |1i
..
.de fo                  \" page footer
'  sp .5i-1v
.  tl ''%''
'  bp
..
.wh 0   hd              \" trap at top of the page
.wh -1i fo              \" trap 1 inch from bottom
.so hdfo.roff
.ds Ti Final Report\"
.ds Da 21 May 2023\"
.ti
On 5 August of last year,
this committee tasked me with the investigation of the
CFIT (controlled flight into terrain) incident of XX Mon YYYY.
.
.de Tx
Sed unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque
laudantium,
totam rem aperiam eaque ipsa,
quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta
sunt,
explicabo.
..
.while \n%=1 .Tx