On 12/19/13 5:47 PM, rdwducl wrote:
Hello,

I am using GBSA/OBC implicit solvation with an ACE-type approximation for
the nonpolar term. Having looked at the GROMACS code, it would appear to be
using the following form for the nonpolar free energy:

sum_i 4*pi*tension*(R_i + R_s)^2 * (R_i/b_i)^6

where R_i and R_s are constants (vdw and probe radii), and b_i is the
conformation-dependent Born radius. The idea is that as solutes come
together, b_i increases and so the free energy decreases.

To test this effect, I have written a script that iteratively creates
configs with the 7 atoms (of type "CH2"):

(0,0,0)
(r,0,0)
(-r,0,0)
(0,r,0)
(0,-r,0)
(0,0,r)
(0,0,-r)

and then computes the GB nonpolar energy as a function of r in [0.1,1.0] nm.
What I'm finding is a /constant/ nonpolar energy, i.e. it is not varying
with r!

My input files are below. Am I doing something wrong?

You have 7 atoms that have no bonded geometry, so no matter where you place them, the exposed area is constant.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences