Hi all,

I want to express my support to this draft. In a provider's life, planned
maintenance operations on routers impacting BGP sessions is a common thing. As
a consequence, we (providers) will clearly benefit from a solution able to
lower as much as possible the impact of such operations on our clients' traffic
(and not to mention the smarter behaviour of make-before-break requirements
instead of the actual "shouting on one-self's foot").

I however have two comments regarding this draft:

1 - Unlike the problem statement section, I find the introduction section a
little bit unclear. I would suggest to rephrase it with a simple description of
what is a "planned maintenance" in providers life, why/when this is performed,
and then talk about the consequences of such event on traffic as BGP does not
offer today any "make-before-break" tool. Most of this is already in the draft
but in the background, so I would like this doc to make clear that we provoke
the loss of traffic when performing maintenance operations and that's why we
need a smarter behaviour _à la_ make-before-break for the whole duration (ie
session down and up event) of the operation.

2 - For the topologies used as examples, it is stated for e-BGP topologies that
"The requirements of section 5 should be applicable to:" and for i-BGP
topologies that "some frequent i-BGP topologies that SHOULD be supported". I am
uncomfortable with the use of SHOULD here as, as far as I understand it, it
makes all the requirements expressed in section 5 not so "mandatory" any more.
Is my understanding wrong or shall we strengthen the verb ?

Regards,

Greg