Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification; I have no further comment
on this.

> >>   o is this a BCP instead of Informational doc?
> >
> > The document is proposing jacking up the Internet cell
> > size from 1500 to 9000, where 9000 seems like a good
> > fit for the vast majority of link paths anticipated
> > for the near future. That seems like BCP to me.
>
> Err, it's proposing setting the IXP interfaces to 'larger than 1500'.
> One of the problems is that some networks already show up at exchanges
> with 'larger than 1500 on their backbone/core facing interfaces, and
> likely on most other interfaces in the network as well, so these IXP
> interfaces are one-off situations :(

Right, but it is asking for a specific minimum MTU of
9000 in the core and is hence striving for a new
Internet cell size. IMHO, this is a necessary first
step toward migration to larger MTUs.

Don't get me wrong, though - the Internet will still
need to accommodate MTU diversity since there is no
way to legislate a sweeping change of this nature
that can be deployed all at once. That means PMTUD
will still be necessary, and should be made as robust
as possible.

> I don't see this proposal as jacking up the whole of the Internet,
> there are still a vast number of edge interfaces which are not capable
> of changing MTU, but making the one-off problems go away seems like a
> good idea.

Right; there are certainly edge interfaces for which
larger MTUs are not practical. Most wireless devices
fall under that category. However, migrating the core
to 9000+ allows edge devices that can do better than
1500 to discover larger MTUs.

> > At the same time, at some point down the road we may
> > need to turn the crank again and jack up from 9000
> > to something still larger. Hence, the BCP for the
> > near term should leave open the door for an update
> > at some point in the future.
> >
> >>   o should this be adopted for WG work?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> thanks!