On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:58 AM, Nick Hilliard <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > I'm all for a permanent solution, but routers just don't get updated
> > with new features all that often.
>
> Extended communities have been around for years. Peoples' lack of
> inclination to properly maintain their infrastructure is not a good
> reason to introduce additional unnecessary complexity by defining
> byzantine workarounds.
>
> There seems to be a good deal of vendor / operator support for large
> communities.  This fills in the rfc1997 gap for asn32s extremely well,
> and should shortly start appearing in production code.
>
>
noting I don't disagree with nick, but a bit more color / reason for my
comment I think is helpful:

  o these communities are not expected to work across more than the
immediate remote peer, except possibly in the case of  IX's where the same
next bit of logic should hold, I think.

  o the folk that want to exploit the use of these new communities have a
reason to upgrade code to that which supports them

  o upgrade cycles are shorter if people have a reason to upgrade

I think, therefore, that a complex solution as a stopgap isn't worth the
work, when in  'short order' code and ability to use that on the network
will be here.
_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email protected]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

Reply via email to