The note that the paper was no longer accessible at the USC link was surprising.

Even more surprising was this note on a USC CS site:

https://www.cs.usc.edu/research/technical-reports/

Technical Reports
The Department of Computer Science no longer publishes technical reports to
this website. All CS faculty and students should consider using a reputable
computer science research archive to publish their reports. We recommend: arXiv
Computer Science

A digital archive of all past reports previously hosted by the department will
be made available in the near future.

And another page from the IT Services saying they were retiring their web
hosting server because, after all, Wordpress is available.

On the basis of only a bit of research, the paper was indeed a USC technical
report, it is still available at
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.45.5118&rep=rep1&type=pdf,
 and the citeseerx sites says it was previously available at
ftp://ftp.usc.edu/pub/csinfo/tech-reports/papers/95-603.ps.Z.  The ftp site
still exists and answers pings, but does not answer ftp.  (It is a cname to the
previously mentioned about to be retired web hosting server.)

A university abandoning publication of its research and, at least right now,
not even sustaining the archive of its former publications.  Ugh.

—Sandy