Job Snijders wrote on 06/08/2018 14:22> RFC 5396 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5396 described the "asdot+" and
"asdot" representation formats for AS numbers.

I'd personally prefer a single canonical way to represent ASNs
(asplain), and while RFC 5396 proposes the adoption of a decimal value
notation 'asplain', I don't think there is a document actively
discouraging the use of asdot and asdot+

We've come across asdot+ notation in strange places such as RPSL, and
I'm not yet sure how to proceed

https://github.com/irrdnet/irrd4/issues/48

Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send. I.e. check for asdot on inbound nrtm feeds and convert to asplain, with no option to convert to asdot output. It's inexplicable why anyone would output or use asdot these days.

IIRC, Afrinic is the only RIR which outputs asdot from their whois server. Everyone else changed to asplain around 2009.

Nick