On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 8:25 AM Job Snijders <j...@instituut.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 16:19 John Kristoff <j...@depaul.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 08:21:08 +0000
>> Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch=40muada....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear Global Routing Operators,
>>
>> And medium-size academic netop.
>>
>> > My question: is rejecting excessively long AS paths something we want
>> > to do?
>>
>> It is something I've decided to do.  When I looked at the paths we were
>> getting a few months back I decided to drop at 20.  I've pointed people
>> to my template doc so it is possible that others may have done this as
>> well.
>

> Can we articulate what problem is solved by limiting the AS_PATH length?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Job

I'm aware of a Netflow tool that crashes when it receives BGP paths that
are excessively long.  Furthermore, excessively long paths will use more
memory which could cause stability issues in some situations.

Having a sanity limit on path length isn't a bad idea. Personally, I think
20 a little on the short side, but 40 or 50 seems like a reasonable limit.
Anything beyond that is most definitely excessive, and I'm not sure you
would even want to use such a path if it were real.

 thanks

David Farmer               Email:far...@umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952