I really appreciate your review and comments. These are great.

See responses inline marked [tievens].

You can see the "pending" changes via:
* https://github.com/TimEvens/draft-ietf-grow-bmp-loc-rib/pull/19/files
*
https://github.com/TimEvens/draft-ietf-grow-bmp-loc-rib/blob/rev-08/draft-ietf-grow-bmp-local-rib.txt

On 11/2/20, 10:14 PM, "GROW on behalf of Job Snijders" <grow-boun...@ietf.org
on behalf of j...@ntt.net> wrote:

    Dear group, authors

    As part of the sheperd write-up I am reviewing the
    draft-ietf-grow-bmp-local-rib-07 Internet-Draft. Overall the document
    looks good to me.

    Please consider these notes as input from an individual working group
    participant. The suggestions are editorial in nature, my focus on
    readability and clarity.

    Thank you for your consideration!

    Kind regards,

    Job

    ### note 1

    Suggested rewording of Abstract:

    NEW Abstract:
    The BGP Monitoring Protocol (BMP) defines access to various Routing
    Information Bases (RIBs). This document updates BMP (RFC 8671) by
    adding access to the Local Routing Information Base (Loc-RIB), as
    defined in RFC 4271. The Loc-RIB contains the routes that have been
    selected by the local BGP speaker's Decision Process.

[tievens] Changes look good, but this draft doesn’t update 8671, it still
updates 7854.

    ### note 2

    Throughout the document I would suggest changing the phrase
    "Local-RIB" to "Loc-RIB".

[tievens] Agree. The draft itself has local in the name.  Does it make sense to
change
the draft name or keep it as is?

    ### note 3

    Perhaps the first sentence of the introduction reads better if changed
    to the following:

    NEW:
        This document defines a mechanism to monitor the BGP Loc-RIB state
        of remote BGP instances without the need to establish BGP peering
        sessions.

[tievens] Updated.

    ### note 4

    I have trouble understanding the following:

        The BGP Monitoring Protocol (BMP) suggests that locally originated
        routes are locally sourced routes, such as redistributed or otherwise
        added routes to the BGP instance by the local router. It does not
        specify routes that are in the BGP instance Loc-RIB, such as routes
        after best-path selection.

[tievens] I can see that.  Changed to:

        "BMP [RFC7854] does not define a method to send the BGP
        instance Loc-RIB.  It does define in section 8.2 of [RFC7854] locally
        originated routes, but these routes are defined as the routes
        originated into BGP.  For example, locally sourced routes that are
        redistributed."

    ### note 5

    OLD:
    Adj-RIBs-In Post-Policy may still contain hundreds of thousands of
    routes per-peer but only a handful are selected and installed in
    the Loc-RIB as part of the best-path selection.

    NEW:
    The Adj-RIB-In for a given peer Post-Policy may contain hundreds of
    thousands of routes, with only a handful of routes selected and installed
    in the Loc-RIB after best-path selection.

[tievens] Changed.

    ### note 6

    Section 1.1. "Current method to Monitor Loc-RIB" probably needs to be
    "Alternative method to monitor Loc-RIB"

    s/current/alternative/

[tievens] That works, but it's really the only method right now... hence
current... it becomes
        alternative with this draft. (  Changed to alternative.

    ### note 7

    In section 3, the following change hopefully clarifies that the Loc-RIB
    as observed through BMP is a composite of
potentially-to-be-redistributed-into-BGP-routes
    and routes received from other peers.

    OLD:
    It is further defined that the routes selected include locally originated
    and routes from all peers.

    NEW:
    Note that the Loc-RIB state as monitored through BMP might also contain
routes
    imported from other routing protocols such as an IGP, or local static
routes.

[tievens] Nice. changed.

    ### note 8

    section 5.3

    Curious: why ASCII and not UTF-8 (of which ASCII is a subset)?

[tievens] To be honest, ascii so that it's printable and works with
iproute2/etc...  Although,
   from a BMP perspective UTF-8 is more flexible and wouldn't restrict system
implementations.
   Changed to UTF-8. VRF names will be system specific in terms of
syntax/data-type, but from
   a BMP receiver standpoint, we can easily, and should, support UTF-8.

    ### note 9

    Section 6.1 states "several methods to implement Loc-RIB efficiently"

    is this the implementation of Loc-RIB in a BGP-4 speaker? Or the
implementation
    of BMP Loc-RIB monitoring?

[tievens] It is the speaker implementation.  I've changed it to
        "There are several methods for a BGP speaker to implement Loc-RIB
efficiently."
        Is this more clear?