Dear Rayhaan,

Thank you for working on this draft.

As far as your suggestion to use new SAFI to auto discover presence and
addresses of Looking Glass servers across ASN boundaries I have
nothing against.

As you know the alternative to exchange this type of information would be
via defining a new BGP Message (just like we ddi this in the past in case
of BGP Operational Message). But here perhaps you want to propagate this
beyond single ASN peer so new SAFI may work better.

I however have one major concern on how are Looking Glasses going to help
to address your original problem ie. to check if my prefix was announced
and accepted by peering AS.

Note that ASBRs normally send only best paths. If best path was learned
over IBGP (tie breaker was Local Pref or MED) ASBR may receive and accept
your route, but that route would not be advertised to LGs.

The natural solution here is use of best external and add-paths to make
sure LGs really get all received and accepted paths for a given net - but I
am not sure how common that is deployed today on sessions between ASBRs and
LGs. Last time I checked LGs get peering with RRs and get RR paths. Even
with add-path there and no best external your original issue would not be
solved.

So I would recommend that we review this point before focusing more on LG
auto discovery mechanics. Btw this draft if progressing should be IMO
discussed in IDR and changed to Standards Track. But GROW is an excellent
forum to first make sure if the entire idea proposed here is sound enough.

Best,
R.