On Sat, Jun 08, 2024 at 12:04:38AM +0200, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Maybe it is out of scope. Or perhaps scope is just too narrow.
>
> Anyhow ...
>
> Imagine I an IXP client advertising a prefix to RS which I want to be
> distributed only to some client's ASNs.
>
> So how do I signal such policy using Large Communities keeping in mind that
> such prefix is an IPv6 prefix ?

The IXP RS operator and the IXP participant could agree to use a
specific Large or Classic Community to influence distribution via the
Route Server.

> Using extended communities this is easily achievable using  IPv6 Address
> Specific Extended Community (value 25): Hint: RFC5701.

Nitpick: one can only encode a single IPv6 address in an 5701 attribute,
not an IPv6 prefix.

I am not aware of any IXP RS operations that use RFC 5701.

RFC 5701 BGP path attributes are different from RFC 4360 BGP path
attributes. Perhaps the BCP proposal at hand should also document that
RFC 5701 attributes are not the best practise for IXP RS operations?

Kind regards,

Job