I, too, enjoyed it. It was and still is an emergency buoy for me, especially on
old installations of macOS Lion and Mavericks I still run along newer macOSes.
You get used to it so much that it becomes like an old friend or nanny. I fear
that other developers will drop support of their apps built around Growl's
framework such as Prowl for iOS by Zachary West which I still use on Mavericks
and Lion to send text and clipboard from the Mac to iPhone.

The news of retirement was brewing and expected though.

Godspeed, Chris and thank you for the long years of dedication!