I mean... we've been adding a lot of features recently with regards to
things like xds, changed nanopb to upb, moved from using C to C++, adding
abseil as a dependency, and others. I'm not completely surprised that this
would result in a size increase. Similar things have been noted with the
python extension for instance, although I'm still not sure if it's a
similar problem:  https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/21958

Now, sure, it's a fairly massive size increase, but we've gathered more and
more dependencies as we're adding new features. That may be the sort of
things to expect as you increase the feature set and dependency set.

Getting a linker map of what exactly is in there could be helpful to see if
there's really something out of whack, in case there's really something
that shouldn't be there, but I'm not necessarily very hopeful in "what we
can do" to address this issue in case there isn't anything out of place in
the binaries: the monolithic nature of grpc means we can't really "opt out"
of these new features.