Hi Mahadevan,

Thanks for using gRPC!

Based on the description, long living connections getting dropped
frequently could be caused by TCP socket timeouts.

You can refer to our document about how to set keepalive pings:
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/doc/keepalive.md
How to set channel arguments:
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/examples/python/helloworld/greeter_client_with_options.py
The list of available channel arguments:
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/include/grpc/impl/codegen/grpc_types.h#L138

I'm not sure what the maximum size of channels means. Channels share the
underlying TCP sockets when possible. If you mean the maximum number of TCP
sockets , gRPC doesn't have such limitations, please check your OS's
network settings and the network devices. But as mentioned, I'm more
suspect that this could be improved by using keepalive pings.

Bests,
Lidi Zheng