Comments/questions below:

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 4:12 PM Jeff Steger <be26...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a quick question about grpc connections. I am running a grpc
> synchronous server that mostly replies to single (not streaming) requests
> with single (not streaming) replies.

Which language are you using?

I understand that each new request is handled by a thread from the grpc
> framework’s threadpool. I notice that for even after the request is handled
> and a reply is sent and processed by the client, the tcp connection between
> the client and server is not taken down. How long does the connection
> persist?

According to this doc
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/doc/connectivity-semantics-and-api.md

"When there has been no RPC activity on a channel for a specified
IDLE_TIMEOUT, i.e., no new or pending (active) RPCs for this period,
channels that are READY or CONNECTING switch to IDLE. .... We will use a
default IDLE_TIMEOUT of 300 seconds (5 minutes)."

Is it in anyway coupled to the lifetime of the thread in the threadpool?

The thread lifetime and connection lifetime should be unrelated.

When does the threadpool reclaim the thread that was used to process the
> request? Thanks for your help!

Depends on the gRPC language you are using.