Can you try running with the following environment variables set, and share
the log?  That might help us figure out what's going on here.

GRPC_VERBOSITY=DEBUG
GRPC_TRACE=client_channel_routing,pick_first,cares_resolver

In general, the c-ares resolver should return an error when there's an
empty address list, so it should automatically retry the resolution
periodically until it succeeds.  The only exception I see in the code is if
there are balancer addresses successfully returned
<https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/9794038ae03842573517411df4ef6ac87a377be0/src/core/ext/filters/client_channel/resolver/dns/c_ares/dns_resolver_ares.cc#L325>,
but that shouldn't be the case if you're using pick_first.  Unless maybe
you're using a service config in DNS, but the service config lookup is
failing also?

Anyway, getting some additional logs will probably help us understand
what's going wrong here.

Mark D. Roth <r...@google.com>
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.