> Am I correct in assuming that I need to call my blocking application code
in a new thread and pass the reactor (along with req/resp) to that new
thread such that it can call reactor->Finish() once the work is done?

Yes, that's the most general recommendation, which you can find further
down on that same gRFC you linked to: "One way of doing this is to push
that code to a separate application-controlled thread."