I understand now.  The config files are up to the Distibution.

I tried what you advised, Chris, but I have no such directory:

 ls /usr/share/fonts/X11/
100dpi/    75dpi/     encodings/ misc/      Type1/     util/

So the command:

grub-mkfont -s 24 -o unicode.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/X11/mis/unifont.pcf.gz

fails on me.
# can't open file /usr/share/fonts/X11/mis/unifont.pcf.gz, index 0: error
1: cannot open resource

Furthermore, I have no such file unifont.pcf.gz on the system.

Can you be of further help, I very much appreciate your help.

David J. Ring, Jr.

=30=