There are many users using dual boot with Windows and Linux. In this
configuration installing grub in MBR unfortunately breaks at least some
updates of Windows 8 (update fails). And installing grub in partition
has all sort of known problems with blocklists.

What about allowing separate locations for boot block and core.img?
I.e. something like

grub-install --boot-block-location=/dev/sda1
--core-img-location=/dev/sda

This has all advantages of embedding core.img while allowing leaving
MBR alone. Actually we could assume default --core-img-location, meaning
that for

grub-install --boot-block-location=/dev/sda1

we assume that core.img has to be embedded in /dev/sda unless proved
otherwise :)