From: Andrey Borzenkov
Sent: 12/16/13 02:36 PM
To: grub-devel@gnu.org
Subject: [RFC] Allow separate boot block and core.img location?

There are many users using dual boot with Windows and Linux. In this
configuration installing grub in MBR unfortunately breaks at least some updates
of Windows 8 (update fails). And installing grub in partition has all sort of
known problems with blocklists. What about allowing separate locations for boot
block and core.img? I.e. something like grub-install
--boot-block-location=/dev/sda1 --core-img-location=/dev/sda This has all
advantages of embedding core.img while allowing leaving MBR alone. Actually we
could assume default --core-img-location, meaning that for grub-install
--boot-block-location=/dev/sda1 we assume that core.img has to be embedded in
/dev/sda unless proved otherwise :)