Thanks, Mat, for the detailed and informative reply. I've got two
distinct interests here:

First is finding a fairly complete, extensible replacement for
ThinkingRock:  http://www.trgtd.com.au/  I like the (dogmatic?) way
that program implements GTD, but need more flexible Export options,
and a fully open source project.

Second is working with the latest jQuery-related TW code, in order to
add TW's self-modifying features to other, more general web (and
local) apps, per:  http://jquery.tiddlywiki.org/twFile.html

Would it make sense to try manually upgrading mGTD, d3, tbGTD, or even
GTD-TW to the latest, bleeding edge TW code base?

-jayseye