I've been finding AutoFocus to be a really useful addition to GTD for the
same reasons.

I use GTD, pretty much as designed by David Allen, but within Contexts I use
AutoFocus to help me choose which tasks to work on.  Most of my tasks fall
into just two Contexts, so my "By Context" task lists are very long.  AF
provides a well-defined method of working through very long task lists.

And, hey, I'm getting more done, including things I've been procrastinating
on.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM, marijane <marijane.wh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Be a purist if you like, but I had a full GTD system with areas,
> projects, subprojects, waiting actions, dependent actions, tickler
> actions, and next actions in my mGSD before I implemented AF on top of
> it and it's all still there. I still do weekly reviews, I still make
> do/delegate/defer decisions for every action I add to the system, etc
> etc etc.  While AF is it's own system, and is far less complex than
> GTD on its own, it can absolutely be used on top of a GTD system as an
> alternative method of working through one's next actions list -- the
> "Do" part of GTD. (Observant readers will notice that the AF dashboard
> for mGSD is really just a slightly modified version of the context-
> free Action Dashboard that Simon has built into mGSD.)
>
> I know I am not the only person who finds GTD to be rather weak in its
> guidance on how to choose next actions to work on, particularly for
> those of us who do most of our work in a single context.  It's a
> criticism I've seen all over the web for years, and I have found AF
> does a very good job of filling in the gap.
>

> -marijane
>
> On Feb 24, 2:23 am, Jim McD <jim_mcdonne...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I am just reading David Allen's "Getting Things Done" for the second
> > time.  The Autofocus method is impressive in its own right, but does
> > not contain any GTD elements as far as I can see.  Autofocus is an
> > advanced implementation of the "recirculating" to do list, variations
> > on which are in common usage.  Allen points out some inadequacies of
> > the daily/recirculating approach in part 1 of the book (can't find the
> > page just now).
> >
> > Autofocus is not compatible with GTD, since they cover some of the
> > same ground in completely opposing ways. For now, I am going to
> > persevere with full GTD, as far as possible.  GTD isn't perfect
> > though, and Autofocus may be better, depending on what kind of life
> > you have and your approach to managing it.  But they are seperate
> > systems.  A person should not use Autofocus and tell themselves they
> > are doing GTD (or vice versa).
>
> --

Stephanie Butler