Tristan Van Berkom <tvb <at> gnome.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 20:29 +0000, Jeremy Roberson wrote:
> [...]
> > And I get a segmentation fault.  I then tried ldd and gdb
and I get an instant
> > segmentation fault.  If I unset the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable and then try ldd
> > and gdb, they work but the application fails because
it's linking against older
> > libraries.
> >
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm not sure off hand whats going wrong in your app,
> you might try a true jailed environment using a chroot, etc -
> or at least run a short study on existing jail environments
> and what details they attend to to make sure apps/compilation
> works properly.
> (sounds to me like you are not even reaching main() from your gcc
> start stubs, maybe you have something set to preload on the target
> system ? I dont know...)
>
> Cheers,
>                    -Tristan

I think I figured out what is going on.  When I launch my application on the
older systems, the system program loader is being invoked which, isn't ABI
compatible with the provided libraries.  So, I launched my application from the
command line using the program loader that I provide as follows.

->../lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path ../lib ./interwrite-learning-systray

And everything works.  So, it's easy enough to right a launch script that
performs the above operation but, is this a good approach?

The other approach as suggested would be to build on a very old system.