On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 06:36:09PM +0200, Gabriele Greco wrote:
> Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> > You might want to take a look at what the autopackage folks are doing.
> > At the very least, they have a lot of documentation on what's required
> > to prepare relocatable, portable binary packages.
> >
> Anyway the GTK hardcoded path are not a good thing IMHO.

Well, Pango for instance uses environment variables to tell
it where config files telling it where other files specifing
where its modules reside.  Isn't it enough?

> Having relative paths in the gtk core libraries what problem could
> cause?

AFAIK you can relocate a Gtk+ installation using
a combination of environment variables and config files.
This way you can also relocate different things into
different places.  Not that I ever found any use for it...

> Eg make libgtk-2.0.so try to load:
>
> ./gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-gif.so
>
> Instead of: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-gif.so

And the dot is exactly what?  The current directory?
Does the library know the directory it was loaded from?
Should libraries break when symlinked?

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/