Benoît Dejean wrote:
>> In fact the GObject library (on which GTK is based) is an example of
>>  how full object-orientation can be achieved in C. Of course other C++
>>  features like templates, operator overloading (ugh!) and namespaces
>>  are unique.
>
> This is totally a blocker for beginners. I've been doing some GNOME for
> years and i've never wrote any gobject thing because it didn't worth to
> waste time on it.

Another interesting idea is to use Vala[1] for developing Gobject code.
 This compiles to straight C and you can use the new object's api like
any other gobject-based api.  Vala's intriguing because it's a language
very much like C#, but compiles down to straight C, which can be a
really good thing.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Vala/GTKSample

--
Michael Torrie