Hello!

> Hello, Jim!

>> With the default MacPorts installation of gtk3, one can set XDG_CONFIG_HOME
>> to /opt/local/share/themes/Default and then include the gtk.css file with
>> .window-frame,
>> .window-frame:backdrop {
>>   box-shadow: none;
>>   margin: 0;}
>>
>> in it, in /opt/local/share/themes/Default/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
>>
>> and the margins will disappear on the popup menu boxes avoiding the
>> selection problem.  No need to install an alternate theme.
>> Please excuse the errors in the previous posting.
>
> Thank you very much for providing the workaround! This solves the
> problem for my situation, because I can provide modified theme with
> the distributive of our software.
>
> Just a wild guess:
> It would be interesting to create a custom theme with the following css
> .window-frame,
> .window-frame:backdrop {
>   box-shadow: 0 0 10px rgba(0,0,0,0.5)
>   margin: 15;
> }
> ...and test it in some other OS (Linux and Windows). Maybe the problem
> of "insensitive menu" will appear there as well!

I have been trying to reproduce the same behaviour on my Linux
workstation, but no luck. I can enable the shadow around the context
menu, but the semi-transparent border isn't appears. Probably this
feature doesn't supported by X11 backend. So I can't debug this issue
in Linux.

I think at this point we can submit a bugreport to GTK bugtracker -
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/index.cgi

Best Regards,
Konstantin