On 3/15/07, Emmanuele Bassi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 06:01 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> > > I was worried that some developers would complain about html patches
> > > dirtying the list, but then thanks if you'll look and commit the
> > > patches since I don't have commit rights.
> >
> > * There's 3 directories in svn (branches, tags, trunk), and it seems
> > only 'trunk' should be kept since the others are horribly outdated (~5
> > years) and just duplicate info of each other and that of 'trunk'.
> > Could someone remove them since I don't see their use.
>
> this is how SVN repositories work: trunk/ is roughly equivalent to CVS
> HEAD branch; the branches/ and tags/ directories are used to store
> specific branches and to tag a specific version. since the web site for
> gtk+ (and for GNOME, for that matter) are stored in SVN and regenerated
> via cron jobs, that explains the presence of those two directories.

Thanks for the info.

Why would one tag or branch web pages? Such functionality seem only
appropriate for software.

> > * I don't know too much how web technologies work but I expected that
> > if I open trunk/index.html I should see a page similar to that found
> > in www.gtk.org, but in svn's html, there's no left-hand table and no
> > pictures for example.
>
> the script that regenerates the site includes the various common
> sections of the site (top, bottom and side bars) using comments in the
> HTML file. consider it a poor man's PHP, if you want. :-)

Why this script complication? Why isn't it shown exactly like it would
appear on the web?

> > * I see www.gtk.org (dated Dec 2006) hasn't been updated to latest svn
> > (dated Jan 2007).
>
> yeah, it's known; when GNOME migrated from CVS to SVN the scripts
> weren't updated. we can also drop the cron job and use the commit hook
> script that SVN provides, now.

Me can't wait for any solution, just so that the changes I might make
will become web-visible soon after they get committed...