On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 16:21 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> Reducing the amount of environments an app has to be tested in is a
> very good thing. I think that for GTK+ 3.10, we should add back the
> ability for app authors to use the GtkSettings APIs to add back icons
> if that's how they forced it on, but I don't think it should be hooked
> up to the environment anymore.

That still forces app authors to write their own XSettings client if
they wish to fully restore the level of desktop integration present in
GTK+ 3.8 (which I'm not above doing).

Concrete example:

  xfce4-appearance-settings, "Settings" tab

  Observe GTK3 apps built against GTK+ 3.8 honor and respond to the
  preferences shown there.  GTK3 apps built against GTK+ 3.10 do not.

This kind of backward-compatibility breakage should be reserved for
GTK4, after a sufficient period of deprecation in GTK3.

Matthew Barnes