On 4 February 2018 at 20:52, Morten Welinder <mort...@gnome.org> wrote:
> As a general principle, you should only ask bug reporters to do work if you
> intend to do something with the answer.  Or, with other words, it really is
> not nice to keep asking "is that bug still there?" until they get tired of the
> busywork and leave in disgust.

The busywork meaning "attaching a patch and iterating over it"?
Considering that you usually stop short of the first step I have to
ask you: what kind of "busywork" have you ever experienced?

Of course if we get a positive response that the bug is still there
we're going to migrate it and keep track of it.

> With that in mind, I believe it is much nicer to just leave the old bugs
> there.

The old bugs will be left there, but closed, so we don't need to check
two bug lists, and split the maintenance resources even more.

> We never got around to solving the reporter's problem, but at least we did
> not add to the pain by asking them to do work and report back, only to
> ignore the result of that.  Doing that is quite rude.

Of course it is, that's why we generally don't do that — except,
maybe, for rude bug reporters.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.