On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 09:07 -0700, Nader Morshed wrote:
> How would one go about testing their own application, with the fact that GTK
> does not free some of its memory, in order to make sure the application isn't
> leaking memory? I suppose that you could just look at a list of processes and
> note when a repeated task (Opening/closing a window, connecting/disconnecting
> from a server/etc) increases the memory of the process, but this is hardly
> efficient, and can sometimes be fooled by the fact that the libraries cache
> their memory.

it's not just GTK: at all levels of the stack there are one-off
allocations that will be flagged as false positives; font-config,
freetype2, pango, cairo, X11, you name it.

gtk+ has the added bonus that it can be used in run-time loadable
plugin, so (as it has been said) it cannot use an atexit() function
reliably and cross-platform.

> What would be a better way of diagnosing memory leaks in an application?

use a valgrind suppression file. man valgrind to know how to use (and
make) one.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--