Axel,

You can (...build an executable in a cabal file that depends on the
library that is being built in the cabal file...) on versions of Cabal
where ticket #89 has been fixed.

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/89

This is in Cabal 1.8 but the changes for cabal-install are not yet
released on Hackage, I think.  Also there is an outstanding bug to do
with running 'cabal haddock'.

If you don't depend on the internal library explicitly, it will find the
sources (assuming the source root directory is the same) fine, but it
will end up building everything many times over (once for the lib and
once for each binary).  Not good for a large project.

Steve