Hello Andy,

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 14:06 +0800, Andy Stewart wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> Sorry for late, quite busy recently. :(

No worries at all, you didn't even take two days to reply, that's
actually what I would consider a fast reply!

> Maxime Henrion <mhenr...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello all,
> >

> > I recently had to use a CheckMenuItem object in some gtk2hs code.  I was
> > surprised to see that the documentation doesn't contain anything on the
> > "toggled" signal for this object.
> >
> > I resorted to use connectGeneric but that function is clearly very
> > unsafe.  It seems to accept any type for the handler, and if you get it
> > wrong, you experience stack trashing and segfaults.  In my case, trying
> > to use a plain IO action as the handler caused crashes; reading some
> > more code I prefixed it with "\_ ->" and it now works fine...
> I have add "toggle" signal in darcs.

Great!  I've been trying it and it works perfectly.  Thanks to this and
another patch I'm about to send, I can get rid of all the connectGeneric
calls in my application.

I see you called it "checkMenuItemToggled", presumably because "toggled"
was already taken by ToggleButton.  What is the rule for namespace
clashes?  Should new code only use fully qualified names?

> > Furthermore, I had to also bind to the "row-activated" signal of the
> > TreeView object.  Using onRowActivated works fine, however the
> > documentation marks it as deprecated, and doesn't offer any replacement
> > for it.  Supposedly, that would be:
> >
> >     rowActivated :: TreeViewClass self => Signal self (TreePath ->
> > TreeViewColumn -> IO ())
> >
> > It seems to me that gtk2hs has moved onto using the "on" and "after"
> > combinators for handling signals, but that it still lacks replacements
> > for a fair number of old-style signal binding functions.
> Yes, we move noto 'on/after' signal, make API simpler. :)
>
> Unfortunately, not all old-style signal have convert to new style, Axel
> and me quite busy recently.
>
> Maxime, can you convert all old-style signals to new style if you have time?

Converting all of them is unfortunately way beyond what I can do with
respect to my free time, sorry :-(.

I am willing to help though, and I will continue to send patches every
time I encounter something that I can fix and/or improve.  One is
actually on its way to this mailing list :-P.

> Thanks for report! :)

Thanks for your quick action here, and also for committing my patches in
the other thread (the treeModelFilterSetVisibleFunc and
treeSortableSetDefaultSortFunc bug fixes).

Cheers,
Maxime