Hi Axel,

Axel Simon <axel.si...@in.tum.de> writes:

> Hi Andy,
>
> thanks for taking care of these! If this resource leak question is solved (at
> least for Pixbuf), I
> can convert the darcs repository to  version 2 and we can release.
Yes, it's time to upgrade Darcs-2 now.

About Pixbuf problem, infact, I haven't push John's wrapNewGObject patch to
main repository, i just
use wrapNewGObject did a local patch and test works fine.
I'm waiting John's patch before we release new version.

>From object hierarchy of http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/ch02.html
And
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gobject/unstable/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.description

All types that deriving from GObject but not deriving from GInitiallyUnowned has
same problem as Pixbuf, below are type list need to fix:

------------------------------> Types need to fix start
<------------------------------
        GtkAccelGroup
        GtkAccelMap
        AtkObject
            GtkAccessible
        GtkAction
            GtkToggleAction
                GtkRadioAction
            GtkRecentAction
        GtkActionGroup
        GtkBuilder
        GtkClipboard
        GtkEntryBuffer
        GtkEntryCompletion
        GtkIconFactory
        GtkIconTheme
        GtkIMContext
            GtkIMContextSimple
            GtkIMMulticontext
        GtkListStore
        GMountOperation
            GtkMountOperation
        GtkPageSetup
        GtkPrinter
        GtkPrintContext
        GtkPrintJob
        GtkPrintOperation
        GtkPrintSettings
        GtkRcStyle
        GtkRecentManager
        GtkSettings
        GtkSizeGroup
        GtkStatusIcon
        GtkStyle
        GtkTextBuffer
        GtkTextChildAnchor
        GtkTextMark
        GtkTextTag
        GtkTextTagTable
        GtkTreeModelFilter
        GtkTreeModelSort
        GtkTreeSelection
        GtkTreeStore
        GtkUIManager
        GtkWindowGroup
        GtkTooltip
        GtkPrintBackend
------------------------------> Types need to fix end
<------------------------------

John, how about new patch fix those types?

> I guess it's just holding us up
> to try  to compile against all different Gtk+ versions. It's probably better
> to push out versions
> with fewer bugs than with no version related bugs.
Yes, build a shell script to compile against all different GTK+
versions is a long solution, but i don't know how to do it. Sorry i can't help.

But from some friends' feedback at #haskell,  gtk2hs can compile works
fine Windows and Linux (GTK+ >= 2.18), i have add necessary version
macro when build new patches, but i can't promise no miss.

I also request *shell guy* Jens help us do this job, but unfortunately,
Jens quit busy recently.
So from current situation, i suggest release new review version let user
test, then we release some fix version if we get user's report.

BTW, i think we should release all gtk2hs packages with new version number :
"0.12.0", because those package has update Gtk2HsSetup.hs, and new version
get less confusion with user or downstream team.

Also, below are ticket i think should go, Axel, can you close those?

------------------------------> ticket need to clean start
<------------------------------
* http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1181
** This bug can fix if user use flag -threaded and postGUIAsync

* http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1195
** I have update Gtk2HsSetup.hs to notice user if gtk2hs-buildtools not install
correctly

* http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1197
** Axel, I remember you have push patch fix this problem?

* http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1202
** Fix by John's wrapNewGObject patch

* http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1180
** This problem has fix.