I'd like to get this sorted too.  This seems useful...

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.4/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html

If you want to a hand let me know.  I am keen to get this working as gtk 2 on
OS X has some issues with Retina MacBook Pro display (text insertion cursor is
not displayed).  In Gtk 3 it works fine.

If you put your working branch online somewhere (or perhaps just email work in
progress patches) I would be happy to try to help.