hi.  recently joined list.  lurking a little to test waters, etc.

i presently have a '93 yamaha tdm 850, (not a gts 1000,...yet.)
i've been intrigued by the gts since learning about it about a year and a
half ago, (not coincidentally about the same time i started riding.)  i've
heard james parker lives here in santa fe and hope someday to meet him.  i
just missed riding, and probably buying, a gts in albuquerque a while ago
that
had sat on their floor following trade-in for about three years, 'cause no
one knew what to make of it.  i did have a chance on a recent trip to
california to ride a gts briefly and was _very_ impressed with its
smoothness.
one of the big draws for me is not the front end but its early success with
electronic fuel injection; i have had a _ton_ of problems getting the
jetting right on the tdm for our 7,000 foot elevation.  i have found riding
the bike to be great and much more fun than pushing it or getting stuck in
the middle of no place.  so efi reliability seems like it could be a big
bonus.  but it seems like getting one to me is still going to be a bit of a
safari, which before i launch on it, i have a few concerns, and i'd value
your thoughts.  the bike seemed heavy and loath to flip from one tight turn
to another.  riding position is nice but hard hard on wrists.  enormous
complexity seems likely to make mechanic visits particularly painful.
rarity points to fewer parts and less familiarity, not to mention _hard_ to
find one in the first place.  nice sounding ones, especially blue ones, are
still, for me, _really_ expensive.  (my wife is mid-stream in a torrent of
health disasters.)  the recent thread about abs difficulties makes me wonder
about that and other mechanical problems that might have plagued the bikes
and their owners.  but for all that, boy do they seem cool.  and i'm pretty
smitten, so it's kind of a logistics thing.  maybe this winter it will
somehow seem easier and more do-able.  but for now, i'm enjoying the list,
but wondering how folks with more than twenty minutes on a gts feel about
the good, bad, ugly and beautiful of living with one.

thanks a lot,

-- jim guss

jim, elizabeth and pablo guss
[EMAIL PROTECTED]