Oh my, I just HAD to reply to this one!  :)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, guss wrote:

> hi.  recently joined list.  lurking a little to test waters, etc.

Ahah, but now you've unlurked, and it's just like virginity, you can't go
back now!

> i presently have a '93 yamaha tdm 850, (not a gts 1000,...yet.)
> i've been intrigued by the gts since learning about it about a year and a
> half ago, (not coincidentally about the same time i started riding.)  i've
> heard james parker lives here in santa fe and hope someday to meet him.

Santa Fe????  Someone else from New Mexico is on this list??????
Welcome!!

I'm in Las Cruces, have been on the list a while.  Yes, Parker lives
there, I've never met him.  And one guy I know here has a TDM, so you're
not the only one in the state.

> just missed riding, and probably buying, a gts in albuquerque a while ago
> that
> had sat on their floor following trade-in for about three years, 'cause no
> one knew what to make of it.

Dealer on Juan Tabo??  Or????

  i did have a chance on a recent trip to
> california to ride a gts briefly and was _very_ impressed with its
> smoothness.

big snip here

OK, so some reactions to your comments.  Yes, this puppy is heavy.  That's
standard complaint number one.  Mechanics familiar with it are rare,
that's another point this list has noted.  ABS is a growing concern.  As
for riding, it's hard to compare AS A SPORT TOURER.  It's not a sport
bike, it won't ever be the bike of choice if that's what you want.  But I
absolutely love mine for the long ride through wonderful western
mountains.

It still gets comments.  People seem to realize it's not just another
bike.  That RADD front is the big part of that.

Hmmmmmmm.  Jealousy.  Yep, that's it.  I still find that other bikers
commit one of those mortal sins every time I mention owning one, at least
with those who are astute enough to know of the bike.  Lesser folks go
"GTWhat?"--sigh.

So...Santa Fe is only 4 hours away (2 1/2 on a GTS).  Wanna ride?

Phil Benson