Thanks Richard.........you're right about the ground
not being the problem.  I checked it per RSRBOB's
recommendation with the new OHM meter that I bought to try
to figure this problem out.  I also confirmed with the
meter that the fuses are good, and I replaced both rear
tail light bulbs and made sure that the contact points
were good.  I also checked the white plastic connection in
the tail section.......that too is in excellent shape.

    RSRBOB and Bill Ghalley both mentioned the possibility
of the key switch being the culprit.  That would seem to
make sense to me (but I know little about this electrical
stuff) given that both the brake and tail lights don't
work (with either the front or rear brake being
depressed), yet both tail lights come right on when the
bike is in "park."

    Btw, I don't know if this would make any difference,
but I noted that the old tail light bulbs that I removed
were some high output halogen units ...... 12V 50/15W to
be precise.  I'm wondering if the GTS's electrical system
was not capable of handling the extra juice needed for
those bulbs and, consequently, fried something.  Of
course, if the problem is in the key switch, it doesn't
seem to me that the stronger bulbs would create a problem
up there.

    I still don't have a manual, but I'd like to check out
the key switch before I'm forced to take the bike into the
shop and let some stranger loose.  What's the best way to
dive into and open up the key switch?............I seem to
recall that some guys have had problems with key switches,
so I'm thinking that there's got to be a few of you with
some experience in this.

    Thanks again to RSRBOB (whatever that means) and Bill
Ghalley for there generous advice.

Mike Cordon
94 GTS
Danville, CA