From: BENSON [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 1:47 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: numbers of ABS failures

Just a short note on the number of ABS failures out there.  Seems we're
looking too much at the number of units failed FROM THIS LIST, in
comparison to the number of GTSs IMPORTED TO THE U.S., not a correct way
to do this.

We have.....what......200 or so on this list?  And over 20 failures?  It
looks to me like the failure rate is more like 10%.  And for folks not on
this list, how many even know their units have failed (no lights, after
all), and how many found out at the dealer's, and when told the price of
the pump, just dropped the whole idea of fixing it?  (Most of these bikes
are now out of warranty after all.)

And how many of us on the list don't know yet?  Smaller number than in the
GTS population at large, but I know of one that still needs to be checked,
and I'd appreciate the note giving the process to do so if anyone still
has it lurking in their 'puter.

Phil

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF3A9C.41B5CE2A

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: numbers of ABS failures</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So lets say that this list represents 200 GTS =
owners.&nbsp; And there are about 400-500 GTS's in the US.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Of the 200 on this list, 31 reported failures, which =
is about %15.5 percent. There are probably a few on this list that =
either do not know they have had a failure, or have not =
commented.&nbsp; And there are a few GTS's built without =
ABS.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; So it is easy to extrapolate that HU failures =
are somewhere in the 7.5-10% range of all GTS's in the US.&nbsp; I know =
we have a few GTS listers in England and Western Europe, but not sure =
of the numbers.&nbsp; Yamaha should be able to figure this out fairly =
quickly.&nbsp; They just have to ask the parts inventory people =
&quot;how many spares have we shipped ?&quot;</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; A %10 percent failure rate on a safety item is =
a very high number.&nbsp; 1% failure rates on brakes or electric =
thingys that could cause a crash, or fire, etc. have caused forced =
recalls in the auto industry.</FONT></P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: BENSON [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 1:47 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Multiple recipients of list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: numbers of ABS failures</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just a short note on the number of ABS failures out =
there.&nbsp; Seems we're</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>looking too much at the number of units failed FROM =
THIS LIST, in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>comparison to the number of GTSs IMPORTED TO THE =
U.S., not a correct way</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to do this.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We have.....what......200 or so on this list?&nbsp; =
And over 20 failures?&nbsp; It</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>looks to me like the failure rate is more like =
10%.&nbsp; And for folks not on</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>this list, how many even know their units have =
failed (no lights, after</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>all), and how many found out at the dealer's, and =
when told the price of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the pump, just dropped the whole idea of fixing =
it?&nbsp; (Most of these bikes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>are now out of warranty after all.)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And how many of us on the list don't know yet?&nbsp; =
Smaller number than in the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>GTS population at large, but I know of one that =
still needs to be checked,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and I'd appreciate the note giving the process to do =
so if anyone still</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>has it lurking in their 'puter.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Phil</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>