Thanks Kurt. Here is the latest starting point. (168 words)

YAMAHA GTS 1000 ABS FAILURE EPIDEMIC

The premier group for Yamaha GTS 1000 enthusiasts, has conducted a survey
showing that at least 39 (or roughly 35%) of it's GTS owners have had ABS
systems which have failed. The brakes revert to conventional operation
without the owner being aware since the ABS malfunction warning light does
not illuminate for this type of failure. The only way to know of the failure
is to intentionally try to lock the brakes or to run a diagnostics test.

Most owners have not had the system repaired due to the prohibitive cost
charged for replacement of the ABS hydraulic unit (HU). Yamaha refuses to
repair the HUs and instead has insisted on replacing the complete HU as a
unit at a cost of about $2000.

Yamaha and the NHTSA have been advised of the situation.

If you own a GTS you may want to check your ABS operation to avoid a
dangerous surprise. You can subscribe to the Yamaha GTS list at ???????. ABS
failures can be reported to the list.

Cheers Joe.