> As for the consensus as to why the ABS fails, that's of no
> concern at this
> point. We're just guessing here. All we want is for Yamaha to acknowledge
> there's a problem and take a serious look at it.

I'd have to agree with Jay.  Since most of us aren't automotive engineers
our thoughts on what is wrong or right with the ABS system are unimportant.
What is important, is 1) that we have evidence of an unacceptably high
percentage of owners who have experienced ABS failures, 2) that the ABS
system fails and the rider is unaware of the failure, 3) that once out of
warranty it would cost upwards of $2000 to return the braking system to
fully operational status with NO GUARANTEE that the problem won't crop
again.

Yamaha, by their unfortunately useless, but not unexpected response has
thrown the ball back to us with their "how do we get these guys off our
backs?" response.  Now we should throw our weight around by contacting
NHTSA, MCN and any other venue which will listen to us.  Honda listened to
MCN when the bank angle sensor problem was revealed a few years ago.
Perhaps Yamaha will listen also, but even if they don't hear it from MCN,
they should hear it pretty clearly if it comes from NHTSA.

Henry S. Winokur
'94 GTS 1000
AMA Lifer, MRF, MSF/MD MSP Certified Instructor
West Bethesda, MD