From: Louis E Tweed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 10:22 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: ABS

Has anyone had the front abs quit working or is it just the rear section
that goes bad?  My thinking is that the rear goes bad because the ABS
pump is the highest point in the brake line.  So that air gets trapped in
the pump.  Air mixed with water causes corrosion.  Where as because the
front master cylinder is so much higher that any air in the system would
rise to it instead of the ABS pump.
My ABS works, I attribute this to changing the fluid regularly (probably
twice per season, I don't know why it turns dark so quickly maybe it's
the hard braking I do.)  And because I use the ABS on a regular basis,
like every ride.  I don't know about the rest of you but this is a toy
for me.  And if my toy has ABS I am going to play with it.  I have made a
point (since finding out about the problem) of using the ABS just to
exercise the system.  If and when the ABS fails to work I will remove it
from the GTS if Yamaha won't give me another one.  Save a few pounds and
revert to a "normal" brake system, the way alot of them are sold in
Europe.  I mean really if you are counting on the ABS to save your butt
you need to spend more time practicing braking and accident avoidance
maneuvers.  I know it is hard to imagine but someday you might own a
different motorcycle and it might not have ABS!!!!  Oh the horror....
My soap box is melting from the flames so I will go now,
Louis