--- Louis Tweed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This may spell the end to bike week.  I am not sure
> of the exact numbers of
> deaths this year durring bike week, but I was told
> that after the first 3 days
> that had "met their quota." (kinda sick thinking
> really but I know what they
> mean.)  If they were wearing helmets this year, next
> year may be a real mess.
snip

We did see a sharp rise in fatalities this year, but
sometimes it is just the randomness of circumstance.
I would take exception to the end of bike week based
on numbers from the "press" (sorry Jay, not everyone
tries like MCN!).  We have somewhere close to 500,000
cyclists come down, sometimes this is the first ride
of the year(if not the only), some on claptrap
machines that run once a year, many imbibing to excess
and/or riding like idiots.  When you consider the
extra risk exposure during this time, it is actually
one of the safest times of year to ride a bike (in
particular when done properly!)  Sorry to hear you
didn't see much to bring you back, but try it sometime
in the "prime" time, or make some of the early week
races, or find the portable dyno and see what she'll
do, etc, etc....
Fl Kev