John sorry to hear of your Canadian Highway experience.

But I half to let you know that if you are going to travel in Canada,
you gotta speak like a Canadian EH!

It's eh not aye!

And as for the Canadian Department of Highways, your story seems to have
been a bit of an anomaly.  We usually sign our roads pretty well here -
I think.  Road construction or not.

I could tell you of similar stories while travelling in the States.

Grant Gall
Calgary, Alberta Canada Eh!