Thanks to all who've sent me info about their oil consumption,
and to those who've sent comments of things I should be aware of,
etc.

Current situation:
They did a leak-down test on the motor, found that one cyl is 150
pounds, whereas the others are 200.  They think there's some
glazing which is causing both the compression and oil rings to
not make good contact, therefore oil will burn.

I reiterated that it didn't do it before they tore the motor
apart, and that common sense and logic dictate that they're
grasping at straws.  (and they also said that Yamaha wouldn't
honor a factory warranty if fully-synthetic oil was used, but
this is a Western Service warranty)

What they want to do now is to drain the oil, shoot a LOT of
contact cleaner into the cylinders, and rotate the engine by
hand to break the glazing.  Then flush it out with oil a few
times.  I asked how this would affect the bearings, and the
owner didn't feel it'd hurt them.  It's not a technique I've
ever heard of.

Does this raise any red flags?  Should I call them and tell
them NOT to do this?  Will it shorten the life of the bearings
or anything else?

Thanks,

 -K

 Kelly Cash                                      Direct: 408-845-5762
 Sr. Systems Engineer                              Main: 408-845-5700
 Solid Data Systems                                 FAX: 408-727-5496
 2945 Oakmead Village Court                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Santa Clara, CA  95051                             www.soliddata.com