David Pirotte <[email protected]> writes:

>> Debian popcon shows that g-wrap is still a lot more widespread than
>> nyacc:
>
> Old usage statistics doesn't provide any useful info to this
> conversation, nor any useful data as to whether g-wrap should still be
> packaged by distro and used by users.

It shows the statistics over time, and it’s still more widely installed
*today* than nyacc.

> In debian, it was removed quite a while ago - for info, it still was
> in bullseye (oldoldstable)

So these installs may be people who cannot update debian because their
tools depend on g-wrap?

The reason for removing g-wrap from later versions is that g-wrap does
not support Guile 3:
https://tracker.debian.org/news/1354103/g-wrap-removed-from-testing/

>> And apart from not seeing a new release, there has been no
>> notification that it’s deprecated.
>> ...
>
> Nobody should ever make g-wrap work with guile 3.0

Why?

Is it actively doing damage? Or does it just keep old programs working
that use an approach we no longer want?

Why actively tell people not to keep it working?

Given that the install base is pretty large for only having oldoldstable
as distro, I think it likely that people actually use it productively.

This may force them to re-write a program that currently works.

> You're right that I should have updated the savannah pages, I
> actually forgot I was a member :-) fixed
>
>       The project is now tagged as Decommissionned
>       I've updated the description accordingly, and suggest two alternatives

I know that if I had been using g-wrap I would be very angry about a
switch from "Production/Stable" to "Decommissioned" without any warning
in between.

That would destroy my trust into Guile libraries as environment for
productive work.

What I’d expect from an environment is that when a library is marked as
production/stable, it gets updated to the new version. And if it is
abandoned, it gets marked as "? Orphaned/Unmaintained" so people can
take it up if they have interest or need to keep it working.

(along with a strong suggestion to use nyacc for new projects instead)

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,
ohne es zu merken.
https://www.draketo.de

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to