On 8/27/23 9:41 AM, wolf wrote:
Sure, golang compiles faster than C++ for example, but anecdotal data point: at
$DAYJOB we had to start persisting the compiler cache to make CI fast enough.

I've seen similar things done at companies. This is perhaps an interesting avenue to pursue later: if Go doesn't support linked-libraries by that time, maybe our "linked libraries" could be to store what the compiler caches. More investigation needed obviously.

But, Go does compile very fast, and that's a metric the Go team tracks and tries to improve.

- IIUC currently the go build system in guix does not reuse build artifacts,
i.e. it recompiles everything for each leaf package.

That is my understanding as well. We bring in the source for any package that requires it.

--

Katherine